Noted Black historian Dr. Carter G. Woodson named the second week in February “Negro History Week” in 1926. He selected this week to correspond with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln, which many [...]
One of the many civil rights protests that occurred in the summer of 1963 took place at Carville’s Restaurant in Windsor. It was part of an effort by Hartford's North End Community Action Project (NECAP), which galvanized local civil rights leaders to take a more confrontational approach towards publicizing and solving greater Hartford’s racial issues.
In her life, Dr. Winston was most proud of the assistance she’d been able to give her family, the business courses she’d taught that facilitated people’s getting jobs, and her role in improving the lives of children around the world.
Windsor native Dr. E. Beulah Winston dedicated her life to fostering human understanding and empowering people, especially young African Americans, through inspiration, education, and encouragement.
The following is a transcript (edited for space and clarity) from a June 2004 interview between Dr. Daniel Mack and WHS executive director Christine Ermenc. Dr. Mack discusses his family's brickyard on Mack Street in [...]
One of our dear volunteers, Carlton Parkinson, passed away two weeks ago. We’ll miss him tremendously at Windsor Historical Society. He inspired hundreds of school children to understand and to care a little more about the place they live in. We're re-publishing an interview we conducted with Carl in 2010 in his memory.
The above was quoted from the December 1995 issue of Life Magazine, to commemorate the 125th anniversary of his first day in office as a United States Representative. We know Mr. Rainey as a summer resident of Windsor who lived at 299 Palisado Avenue.
What would it be like to come to this town after a harrowing ocean voyage and adjust to a new climate, new foods, new working conditions, and racial prejudice, as well? Fay Clarke Johnson tells the story of Jamaicans who left their lovely, temperate island to find work in the Connecticut River Valley during WWII in her 1995 book Soldiers of the Soil.
You may have driven by this lovely building at 853 Palisado Avenue. In 1896 when it was erected, Windsor was divided into 10 school districts. The northern end of Route 159, known as Hayden Station, was called School District No. 6 and had 55 students between the ages of 4 and 16 years old.
The first black household in the area of Windsor north of the Farmington River was probably that of Moses Mitchell, who bought his first recorded piece of property here in 1791. Moses's brother Oliver came from East Windsor in 1797, buying a piece of property with "two dwelling houses" on the west bank of the Connecticut River near the Scantic Ferry.