WINDSOR HISTORY

Palisado Cemetery

Palisado Cemetery sign

Windsor’s Palisado Cemetery is conveniently located across the street from Windsor Historical Society, at 69 Palisado Ave., next to First Church in Windsor. The cemetery is owned and maintained by the First School Society, which also manages Windsor’s Riverside Cemetery.

The oldest cemetery in Windsor, it also is home to Connecticut’s oldest surviving gravestone, that of Rev. Ephraim Huit, who died in 1644. Unfortunately, most people who died in the 17th century and the early-18th century do not have extant graves. Today, only 21 17th-century graves still stand and are legible.

Over the years, multiple individuals and groups made indexes of the graves in the cemetery, including the Daughters of the American Revolution Abigail Wolcott Ellsworth Chapter in 1929 (when they also transcribed each marker), Charles R. Hale’s WPA project in 1932-35, L. W. Fowles and his history class at Loomis School in 1951, Eagle Scout Matthew Dietrich in 2004, and the DAR’s Abigail Wolcott Ellsworth Chapter again in 2022.

All these resources and more are available in Windsor Historical Society’s research library.