Become an active participant in our mission by preserving and contributing to nearly 400 years of Windsor’s history. There are many ways to make a contribution:
Whether you live in Windsor or your ancestors did, membership in the Windsor Historical Society is a great way to connect with Windsor’s history on an ongoing basis. Membership dues directly support our educational programs, exhibitions, and the preservation of Windsor’s past.
Our members receive:
- A quarterly newsletter filled with insightful articles about Windsor’s history
- Free or reduced admission for all programs
- Reduced rate for library research services
- 10 percent discount on museum store purchases
- Advance information about upcoming exhibitions, lectures, workshops, and educational events
- Special invitations to exhibition openings and receptions
- Free admission to our museum, historic houses, library, and Hands-On-History Learning Center
Since 1921, the Windsor Historical Society has collected objects that embody Windsor’s past so we can share their stories with future generations.
As our collection and educational programs grow, so does the need to preserve, exhibit, and share these collected treasures and stories of our past with present and future generations.
We invite you to help us meet this challenge by contributing financial support to the Windsor Historical Society.
Hundreds of people like you have helped to fund:
- Public and school programs
- The purchase of rare Windsor artifacts and images
- Improved climate control and compact shelving in collection storage areas
- The restoration and reinterpretation of the Strong-Howard House
The success of the Windsor Historical Society—past, present, and future—has depended and continues to depend on the generosity of those who support our mission.
We welcome your support through tax-deductible outright gifts, bequests, and other planned gift agreements. Such gifts are one way of ensuring that you and the things you care most about are long remembered. If you love the work we do, please think about leaving us a gift in your estate plan such as a bequest in your will. Here is what your financial adviser will need to know:
- Legal Name: The Windsor Historical Society of Windsor Conn., Inc.
- Address: 96 Palisado Avenue, Windsor CT 06095
- Federal Tax Id#: 06-0851583
We couldn’t do what we do without our amazing volunteers! Join our volunteer group by assisting us in any of the following areas:
Are you a people person? Can you operate a simple cash register?
Welcome the public and take admissions for tours and events. Events are held weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
Are you a great host or cook?
Help us by baking, preparing food platters, making tables look festive and helping with cleanup for specific events.
School and Family Programs
Do you enjoy working with children and families?
Guide school groups through our exhibitions and historic houses during school hours. Help with craft activities on weekends. Training provided.
Do you love genealogy? Tend to gravitate toward libraries?
Help by assisting library visitors, answering research queries, scanning documents. Training provided.
Wednesday – Saturday: 11 am – 4 pm
We need help on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Fond of gardening and grounds work?
Help us weed, clip, mulch, and prune when it’s convenient for you. Or be part of an organized work party; tell us your preference.
Do you enjoy folding, stamping, stuffing, organizing mailings?
Then this job’s for you!
Marketing and Outreach
Are you a gregarious person who’s on the go round Windsor? We could use help with:
- Staff a Windsor Historical Society booth at events like Shad Derby and the Northwest Park Fair. Orientation provided.
- Deliver program flyers to community gathering spots.
Transportation and Set-up
Do you have a strong back and maybe a pick-up truck or van?
Help us transport both materials to events, set-up, and take-down. We need set-up help for on-site events too.
Are you good with technology?
Help us monitor our laptop and projector at lectures and events–a great way to attend programs for free!
Our next house tour takes place in April of 2020. Staff a two hour slot in one of the homes and get a $5 discount on your house tour ticket. Training provided. We’ll contact you.
For more information, please contact:
Sue Tait Porcaro or 860.688.3813 x102