The Farmington River winds its way through the entire width and much of the length of Windsor. It crosses major roads in two locations: Palisado Ave. and Poquonock Ave. Over the centuries, numerous bridges have spanned the Farmington in both locations, several of which are featured here.
In 1972 the Society received a donation of a day book from a Mrs. Arthur Golding. There was no indication inside the book as to owner of the business or its location, so for cataloging purposes, staff at the time had titled it "1826-1830 Account Book for General Store in Poquonock." Such a vague yet intriguing title has led more recent staff to wonder about its origins.
The Eddy Electric Mfg. Co. occupied the three-story brick building to the east of the railroad depot in Windsor center. Here they built electric motors and generators from 1885 through 1902. One particular type of product that the company made formed the backbone of some of the world's earliest electric cars.
The main idea behind the Society’s Strong-Howard House is to transport guests back to the year 1810, when the Howard family dwelt within the home. Families such as the Howards had to contend with shifting predicaments throughout the year, ranging from frigid indoor temperatures in the winter to swarms of pests in the summer.
Like most founders of Windsor, James Eno was born in England. Unlike most founders, he was of French Protestant, or Huguenot decent. James was baptized as Jacques Hennot (later anglicized to James Eno) on August 21, 1625 in the Threadneedle Street Church in London, a church for Huguenot congregants.
Volunteer Sandy McGraw helping organize our Tunxis yearbook collection. Photo by Christina Vida. This profile is also a fond farewell as Sandy has recently retired from her volunteering duties here at the Society. [...]