2019 marks the 125th anniversary of Windsor's Abigail Wolcott Ellsworth Chapter of the DAR. For the occasion, we are republishing this history of the national and local DAR organizations. It originally appeared in The Windsor Town Crier newspaper in December, 1916.
In 1903 the Connecticut Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) acquired, restored, furnished and opened the Oliver Ellsworth Homestead in Windsor, Connecticut. It’s a milestone that represents the beginning of the landmark-as-museum phenomenon in Connecticut.
Near the northern edge of the Windsor Historic District, on the east side of Palisado Avenue, stands a marker proudly proclaiming the entrance to Bissell Ferry Road. Tucked in between two nearby homes, the unpaved road would be easily overlooked if not for this sign. This modest reminder is all that is left to commemorate a vital spot in Windsor’s long history.
It is always a pleasure for a historian or genealogist to find documents that add color and dimension to the individuals and communities being studied and that fill in the gaps between the official records. The Filley Records are such a document.