(Please note new start time of 8:30) Windsor Historical Society by-laws call for an annual membership meeting each June to approve the selection of Board officers. Before the COVID-19 outbreak, we announced this year’s annual [...]
The Broad Street Green area is the commercial center of Windsor, but it has been so for less time than you might think. In 1929, the green got a brand new building that would fundamentally change the character of the neighborhood.
The Eddy Electric Mfg. Co. occupied the three-story brick building to the east of the railroad depot in Windsor center. Here they built electric motors and generators from 1885 through 1902. One particular type of product that the company made formed the backbone of some of the world's earliest electric cars.
The area in Poquonock just north of the bridge over the Farmington River was for decades a commercial center of the neighborhood. Starting in the mid-19th century, the businesses here served the growing immigrant populations [...]
Amy Archer-Gilligan, a diminutive widow with a teenaged daughter, ran a home for elderly people in town and was a regular church-goer. To many, it seemed inconceivable that she could be guilty of the charge of which she was accused. To others, the murder charge was the tip of an iceberg of crimes waiting to be uncovered.
Combustion Engineering began construction of the first corporate campus in Windsor’s new business district on Day Hill Road in 1955 and employed thousands of workers in their nuclear and fossil fuel divisions over the next half-century.
Central Street is less than 500 feet long, much smaller looking in person than these photographs suggest. Despite its small size, over the years it has experienced many alterations, with only the Windsor train station [...]
Acres of gladiolus blooms. Hundreds of thousands of rooted geranium and chrysanthemum cuttings. Greenhouses 150 feet long. It is so hard to picture it today, but in the mid-twentieth century, floriculture was very big business in Windsor.
Artisan William G. Yokel designed and repaired lighting fixtures and stained-glass windows from his Hartford and Windsor workshops during the early 20th century.