Central Street is less than 500 feet long, much smaller looking in person than these photographs suggest. Despite its small size, over the years it has experienced many alterations, with only the Windsor train station [...]
You may have driven by this lovely building at 853 Palisado Avenue. In 1896 when it was erected, Windsor was divided into 10 school districts. The northern end of Route 159, known as Hayden Station, was called School District No. 6 and had 55 students between the ages of 4 and 16 years old.
The Order of Patrons of Husbandry, the national Grange movement, began in 1867 with a mission that combined nationwide support for farmers, including education and lobbying, and family-based social and community-service activities. The initiative was widely embraced and spread rapidly across the country. The first Grange in Windsor was organized in 1874.
In the spring of 2006 a team of architectural detectives studied the Strong House to produce a Historic Structure Report that documents the house's structural history.
In 1999, two architectural historians independently studied the construction methods and material of the home we’ve called the 1640 Lt. Walter Fyler House. Both surveys came to the same conclusion: there is no evidence to show that this is a 1640 house.
One question that the Windsor Historical Society receives over and over is, "Why did they re-name the Fyler House?" In particular, this comes from folks who remember the Fyler House fondly from visiting it in their youths, and from Fyler family descendants. It wasn't an easy decision.
Windsor's first post office was located in Nathaniel Howard's home/store at 96 Palisado Avenue, the current Strong-Howard House. Around 1840 Windsor's townspeople petitioned to have the post office moved into the area of today's Windsor's center. The following is a brief listing of recent post offices.
Corn. Wheat. Rye. Timber. At the corner of Poquonock Avenue and East Street, this is where residents of Windsor and the surrounding area brought their grain, logs, and tools for grinding, sawing, and sharpening for [...]