posted February 22, 2022
Windsor Historical Society, established in 1921 as the principal historical organization for Connecticut’s oldest town, seeks an experienced and highly energetic history or education program professional to help fulfill a bold vision for its second century.
We aspire to “be first in our region to center our history and culture on the lives of racially and ethnically diverse members of our community.” Our work is rooted in the history, stories, and voices of all community members, and this position will play an important role in this ongoing effort.
Work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, and numerous public stakeholders to implement WHS’s strategic plan by managing existing programs and developing and implementing new and innovative historical programs and initiatives. Manage all on-site and outreach education programs, public and community collaborative programs, and serve as assistant director for museum operations.
Under direction of the Executive Director and in collaboration with colleagues:
- Develop an understanding of Windsor’s history, culture, and people to focus new and existing programs, activities, and events on the needs and interests of Windsor’s diverse communities.
- Initiate and lead collaborations with community partners to foster inclusive approaches to program development and implementation.
- Work closely with public, private, and home educators and community partners to leverage museum and local historical resources to meet their curricular and educational needs through on-site, outreach, and virtual experiences, including special programs for targeted audiences.
- Oversee Society public programs and events. Develop, implement, and evaluate in-person and virtual programs that engage Windsor’s diverse community.
- Serve as assistant director for museum operations. Manage daily museum operations and programs, provide oversight and support to staff and volunteers in the Director’s absence.
- Represent the Society to the public and make presentations to community groups as needed.
- Work with staff to recruit, train, and evaluate part-time and volunteer staff to lead group tours, student field trips, and other programs.
- Develop printed materials, website content, and educational materials for teachers, students, and the general public to support live and virtual programs.
- Other duties as assigned, including weekend and evening duties, to ensure the smooth and effective functioning of the museum and its programs. In absence of volunteers, greet guests, sell gift shop items, give tours of historic houses, and assist patrons in the Research Library.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Experienced in leading inclusive practices to develop culturally appropriate programming.
- A combination of experience and education equivalent to a graduate-level degree in history, American studies, public history, or related field.
- Experience developing and leading educational programs or experience teaching and/or working with children and adults in an educational setting.
- Flexibility with the working environment of a small museum where every staff member shares multiple responsibilities.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience working as part of an organization, working collaboratively, and leading teams and partnerships.
- Excellent organizational, communication, research, computer, social media skills.
- Experience with a variety of social media and other digital communications preferred.
This is a full-time (35 hours per week), salaried, FLSA-exempt position requiring some weekend and evening hours. The position will require employee to lift, bend, stoop, walk, speak, and stand for up to 7 hours in a day.
Windsor Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
Salary range: $45,000 – $52,000 annually, based on experience, plus benefits package.
Send cover letter, resume, list of three professional references, and two writing samples to email@example.com, by March 25, 2022.
[download job posting pdf]
employees employment job jobs seeking hiring