The Old Document Project is a composite collection of some of the Windsor Historical Society’s primary documents. It contains over 3,000 items dated from 1640 to 1939 and a handful of holdings from the mid-late 20th century.
Each document has been indexed by date, name, and document type. The index is available here, but please note that it is a draft document and has not been fully proofread, so there are some spelling/transcription errors, name omissions, and misrepresentations in description.
The collection contains (but is not limited to):
- Land records – deeds, land grants, quit claims, leases, surveys. Many documents contain original signatures and seals.
- Business documents – small account books, bills, payments, receipts
- Legal documents – court summons, complaints, arrests, tax documents, insurance policies, promissory notes, appointments
- Estate records – wills, inventories, probate records
- Town of Windsor records – contracts for road work and school teachers, notices for town meetings, tax lists
- Lists of district school pupils
- Military documents – orders, commissions, regimental lists
- Miscellaneous personal records – genealogies, correspondence
- Other items – notes, signatures, calling cards, minutes, sermons, and more
Photographs were not included in this project.