The Old Document Project is a composite collection of some of the Windsor Historical Society’s primary documents. It contains over 3,000 items dated from 1640 to 1939 and a handful of holdings from the mid-late 20th century.
Each document has been indexed by date, name, and document type. The index is available here, but please note that it is a draft document and has not been fully proofread, so there are some spelling/transcription errors, name omissions, and misrepresentations in description. Also note that it was compiled by numerous people, so there are inconsistencies in the way they are described. Some documents list all names on the page, others exclude justices of the peace, registers, town clerks, or other clerical individuals not party to the transactions.
If you are looking for a name that doesn’t appear alphabetically in the list, do a full-text search (CTRL+F) for the name as it may have been included in a description but not in the Name on Document column.
The collection contains (but is not limited to):
- Land records – deeds, land grants, quit claims, leases, surveys. Many documents contain original signatures and seals.
- Business documents – small account books, bills, payments, receipts
- Legal documents – court summons, complaints, arrests, tax documents, insurance policies, promissory notes, appointments
- Estate records – wills, inventories, probate records
- Town of Windsor records – contracts for road work and school teachers, notices for town meetings, tax lists
- Lists of district school pupils
- Military documents – orders, commissions, regimental lists
- Miscellaneous personal records – genealogies, correspondence
- Other items – notes, signatures, calling cards, minutes, sermons, and more
Photographs were not included in this project.
[Finding Aid] [Name index]