Industrial Revolution produced both an increase in leisure time for the middle class and a profusion of affordable recreational equipment. It is this equipment that fills many of the Windsor Historical Society’s storage shelves, including six pairs of ice skates, a lone single skate, and a few pairs of steel blades.
The Order of Patrons of Husbandry, the national Grange movement, began in 1867 with a mission that combined nationwide support for farmers, including education and lobbying, and family-based social and community-service activities. The initiative was widely embraced and spread rapidly across the country. The first Grange in Windsor was organized in 1874.
In 1999, two architectural historians independently studied the construction methods and material of the home we’ve called the 1640 Lt. Walter Fyler House. Both surveys came to the same conclusion: there is no evidence to show that this is a 1640 house.
One question that the Windsor Historical Society receives over and over is, "Why did they re-name the Fyler House?" In particular, this comes from folks who remember the Fyler House fondly from visiting it in their youths, and from Fyler family descendants. It wasn't an easy decision.