Most people know that there were once two ferries in Windsor: the Rivulet Ferry on the Farmington River and the Bissell Ferry across the Connecticut River. However, there was also another, almost unknown, ferry operating here in the 18th century. It was called the Wolcott Ferry.
By the time the Howard family lived in what we now call the Strong-Howard House, colonial “cuisine” had moved far beyond those early staples Indian pudding and Sally Lunn bread. Initially, American cookery reflected [...]
No, it’s not just about a hat; no, it’s not about a soap box derby. It’s about a fish! It all started in 1955 when the director of the Windsor Rod and Gun Club became concerned with the polluting of the Connecticut River. To draw attention to the river’s condition and the resources it had to offer, the club organized a one-day fishing tournament.
Seventy-six trombones led the big parade. Well, perhaps not quite seventy-six, but Windsor’s first band, formed in 1859, boasted of at least two. One hundred years of Windsor band tradition began on August 13, 1859, at the home of Timothy Phelps.
Combustion Engineering began construction of the first corporate campus in Windsor’s new business district on Day Hill Road in 1955 and employed thousands of workers in their nuclear and fossil fuel divisions over the next half-century.
Deacon John Moore was at the center of a nexus of important woodworking families that extended through four generations to include the Drakes, Bissells, Loomises, Barbers, Griswolds, Stoughtons and others. Together, these families largely controlled the woodworking trade in the region until the middle of the eighteenth century.