Tour Farmington River Power Company and
June 4, 2016
8:30 AM to 10 AM
photo by Michael Taylor
Dams in the Rainbow area have harnessed
waterpower from 1825 to this day. Take this
rare opportunity to tour the Rainbow Dam
and Fish Ladder and the Farmington River
Power Company built by Stanley Works in
1925. You will see historic photographs
and learn how the turbines and generators
work with Don Zessin, Plant Manager. Then
view migrating fish, observe how a fish
ladder and fish traps operate, and learn
more about the habits of migrating fish
in Connecticut from State DEEP staff.
site is also significant in the history
of power transmission. In 1893,
electricity in the form of three-phase
alternating current at between four and
five thousand volts was transmitted from
this location eleven miles south to the
Hartford Electric Company Power Station.
This was the first time in this country
that a public utilities company transmitted electrical power over a considerable distance for commercial use--an amazing demonstration of electricity's potential at that time.
$6 adults, $5 seniors and students, $4 members.
Rain or shine, thunderstorm cancels.
UPDATE 5/12/2016 - SOLD OUT. All spots
for this tour have already been filled.