Lifelong Windsor resident David J. Ellsworth (1840-1932) gave this account about the Blizzard of 1888 to a Windsor Historical Society meeting in November 1922, based on his own diary entries and personal memories of experiencing the blizzard.
One spring day in 2009, a man approached the docent’s desk in the Windsor Historical Society’s lobby offering a small, scuffed, and worn brown object in the palm of his outstretched hand. Would the Society like to have it?
Grave markers can only tell so much about a person's life in a small space. This article focuses on two individuals and their families whose graves are in Palisado Cemetery, and who in life served their Sovereign politically and militarily when Connecticut was still a colony of England.
Industrial Revolution produced both an increase in leisure time for the middle class and a profusion of affordable recreational equipment. It is this equipment that fills many of the Windsor Historical Society’s storage shelves, including six pairs of ice skates, a lone single skate, and a few pairs of steel blades.
The Order of Patrons of Husbandry, the national Grange movement, began in 1867 with a mission that combined nationwide support for farmers, including education and lobbying, and family-based social and community-service activities. The initiative was widely embraced and spread rapidly across the country. The first Grange in Windsor was organized in 1874.
Artisan William G. Yokel designed and repaired lighting fixtures and stained-glass windows from his Hartford and Windsor workshops during the early 20th century.
In the spring of 2006 a team of architectural detectives studied the Strong House to produce a Historic Structure Report that documents the house's structural history.
In 1999, two architectural historians independently studied the construction methods and material of the home we’ve called the 1640 Lt. Walter Fyler House. Both surveys came to the same conclusion: there is no evidence to show that this is a 1640 house.