In the spring of 2006 a team of architectural detectives studied the Strong House to produce a Historic Structure Report that documents the house's structural history.
In 1999, two architectural historians independently studied the construction methods and material of the home we’ve called the 1640 Lt. Walter Fyler House. Both surveys came to the same conclusion: there is no evidence to show that this is a 1640 house.
One question that the Windsor Historical Society receives over and over is, "Why did they re-name the Fyler House?" In particular, this comes from folks who remember the Fyler House fondly from visiting it in their youths, and from Fyler family descendants. It wasn't an easy decision.
The first public thoroughfare used by the settlers of Windsor in 1633 was an Indian trail between Plymouth Meadow (behind today’s Loomis Chaffee School) and the head of Hartford Meadow near the present village of Wilson. At first it was a simple footpath and was later widened for use by cart and horse.
Carrie Phelps Marshall Kendrick (1883-1963) was regarded as one of Poquonock's history keepers. Born on lands that had been farmed by her family for eight generations, I wondered what drew Carrie to Georgia where she married her husband Alexis Dawson Kendrick (1873-1931) in 1904 and began family life.
The first funeral director in Windsor, James J, Merwin was known throughout the region for pioneering new methods and practices to advance his profession. Windsor Historical Society is fortunate to have three volumes of record books from the Merwin Funeral Home in its collection.
In continuing our Founders’ Series, we decided to examine the life of one of Windsor’s founding women. Studying women from this early period can be challenging, but Margaret Barrett Huntington Stoughton’s life, however, is surprisingly well-documented and full of quiet drama.
Handwritten entries in the Gillett-Holcomb Bible. This article originally appeared in the WHS Newsletter in September, 1990. The first part was written by then director Robert T. Silliman, and the second part by Raymond A. Beardslee, a former owner of the Bible.
Across the green from our Strong-Howard House, there once lived Dr. William S. Pierson (1788-1860) and his family. In 1829, Dr. Pierson purchased a day book that became a place for reflection on family and business affairs as well as a record of his medical and agricultural practices from 1829-1831.
If you've been to the grounds of the Society's Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, you might have seen a memorial plaque dedicated to Horace Hayden. This monument has been here since 2008, when it was [...]